Thursday, April 5, 2007

Trips to the doctor haven't reduced, they're just different.

Yes, I am still on my When I was Your Age kick.

Now days I take pride in my adventurous kid caused scars and laugh at fond memories of some of the dumb stuff I did and tried to do. I was so ' adventurous' that my doctor told my dad not to bother taking me to the emergency room, just call him at home.

However, a new study in Britain shows that children have become less active in adventures, largely due to video and computer games.


The report showed a sharp decrease between 1999 and 2006 in the number of children who visited the hospital due to injuries from activities such as tree climbing, bike riding, chasing cats on your skateboard while holding your dog's leash... or was that just me?

Instead of physical adventurous injuries, almost 600 children went to the hospital last year suffering from Repetitive Strain Injury, a condition which normally affects assembly line workers and office computer professionals.

Child health advocates are worried saying children are increasingly being robbed of their childhoods.

I don't know if children are necessarily being robbed of a childhood, but they are definitely missing out on beloved memories of outdoor fun. Skateboarding, swinging from a tree rope and diving into water, stupid stunts and bruises and scars are all part of growing up. Having small injuries helps children learn about risk.

A Career Where You Never Grow Old &

You Never Grow Up



No comments: